Hope everyone had a chance to enjoy Christmas with family and friends and be able to spend this holiday week without work! Just wanted to post a quick update on things as we close in on the FCS Championship, which is two weeks away.
- NDSU players and coaches were sent home on the 23rd, they’ll re-gather in town tomorrow and begin preparations for the title game on Monday.
- We’ll have access to players on Tuesday to get their first thoughts on Jacksonville State. Not sure if that means Carson Wentz, who we have not spoken with since he began practicing again.
- The Anniston, Alabama paper with their insights to the NDSU football program.
- Tom Burnett, the commissioner of the Southland Conference and frequent visitor to this blog and the Kolpack and Izzo radio show told us last Saturday, “to expect some news” about the future of the FCS Championship Game. As many know, back in October the city of Frisco and US Soccer approved a 39 million dollar renovation plan to Toyota Stadium, which includes new locker rooms, premium seats, a private club and the National Soccer Hall of Fame. Burnett added that all this renovation would not have been “just for soccer.” I would expect an announcement either this week or next about Frisco extending its hosting rights at least for the next three years (’17-’19) and perhaps longer. You can listen to that interview in our podcast.
- Nice story here on Tre Dempsey.
- The College Football Playoff semifinals this year are on New Year’s Eve with Clemson-Oklahoma as the early game and Michigan State-Alabama and the late game. Curious to see ratings on a night when a lot of people are out. ESPN got its biggest ratings ever with last years semis, but those games were on New Year’s Day.
- Don’t forget Fargo to Frisco returns, Friday, January 8th at 6:30 on WDAY. Also in a bonus, the Media Blog Pregame Show will be LIVE on WDAY at 8:00 am on Saturday the 9th. First time ever to be on the big boy channel, we must be growing up!
- Lastly, Big E is out of the country on assignment, I’m heading back to New York for a few days tomorrow. Kolpack will update if events warrant. Hope you all understand, we’ll be back on the beat for a huge week and a half soon enough.