NDSU will match up with a team from the MEAC in its NCAA Tournament opener Wednesday in North Carolina Central. The Eagles are the other college in Durham, North Carolina, with the more prominent one being Duke, the team the winner of this game will face on Friday.
NCCU moved up from Division 2 in 2011, they played the Bison as part of their transition in 2007. NDSU won the game 104-51 in November 2007 at the Bison Sports Arena.
This is the third consecutive year that the Eagles will play in the First Four, they lost to UC Davis 67-63 in 2017 and last year lost 64-46 to Texas Southern.
NDSU has played North Carolina A&T and Florida A&M in the past couple of years, the Rattlers came to Fargo in November of 2017. The Bison are an all-time 4-0 in its Division 1 history.
For the Summit League, this is the first time a team will play in the First Four since it was created in 2011. The league did have a team in the opening round game in Dayton in 2005 that was Oakland.
Here are the seeds that the league has earned since 2009:
- 2009 – NDSU (14, lost to Kansas)
- 2010 – Oakland (14, lost to Pittsburgh)
- 2011 – Oakland (13, lost to Texas)
- 2012 – South Dakota State
- 2013 – South Dakota State
- 2014 – NDSU (12, beat Oklahoma, lost to San Diego State)
- 2015 – NDSU (15, lost to Gonzaga)
- 2016 – SDSU (12, lost to Maryland)
- 2017 – SDSU (16, lost to Gonzaga)
- 2018 – SDSU (12, lost to Ohio State
- 2019 – NDSU (16, First Four)